In autumn 2008 we became the owners of 21 acres of prime growing land at Glazebury, near Leigh, just under 14 miles by road from the shop.
Since we bought our land, two bare hay meadows have been transformed into a proper, almost self-contained farm. Years of incredibly hard work from co-op members here at Unicorn and especially at Moss Brook Growers have resulted in
- A 200 sq metre timber barn to store machinery, pack produce and have a cup of tea
- A borehole and irrigation system
- A connection to the national grid and 60 solar panels generating power for the irrigation system and to sell back to the grid
- Hundreds of metres of native hedging planted to provide a rich habitat for birds and small mammals
- A compost toilet for staff, volunteers and visitors
- A rough track to move tractors and machinery around the farm
However, currently, Moss Brook Growers are taking an extended break from growing in order to let the land recover from drainage issues. In the meantime, we are investigating various options for the future use of the land.